Monday, November 22, 2010

Loy Krathong and Yi Peng Photos

I need a better camera! Mine struggles to catch anything in motion and night lights...so moving lit lanterns in the evening skies, don't make for good photos. Here's a few that turned out OK.
Waiting for the lantern to fill up with hot air...
...ouch, this is getting quite hot...

...make a wish...
...and up it goes...
...and goes.
After the release of the lantern we headed down to Ping River for a look at the parade and Krathongs...but it was bedlem.
The crowd on, under and around the foot bridge over looking the river.
The crowd between me and the parade.
Bug snacks, on the way out of the crowded area.
Statue on a canal bridge.
Lantern lit sky.
Not sure if he's a snowman? Lantern on the moat.
Kratongs and rubbish cornered in the moat.
Wat lanterns.
I hear there's more of the same planned for tonight.


Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

10 comments:

lanivcox said... Best Blogger Tips

happy loy kratong!

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Lani, Happy Loy Krat(h)ong to you too...it was fun.

Talen said... Best Blogger Tips

Snap, happy Loy Krathong. I struggle with the night pics as well usually only half turn out well. Your photos look great though and it looks like you had a blast.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Talen, the photos were a few of many I took and most I had to 'enhance'. I thought your new beaut camera would handle just about anything ;) I'm researching what I should buy next...any ideas? Automatic and can drive itself.

Happy Loy Krathong!

Kellie said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm not sure about the bug snacks!!!!

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Me either Kellie! There's plenty of other great food around, so I haven't and probably won't go there.

Talen said... Best Blogger Tips

Snap, for night shots you really need a tripod and patience...I didn't want to walk around town with a heavy tripod in crowds and I have little patience.

I use a Song Alpha 330 but I hear good things about the same level Nikons.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for getting back to me Talen. I am relieved in a way that my photo problems are (probably) not entirely due to my lack of camera skills. I compared a friends newish Linux, which was superior to my Olympus, but mine is a few years old now. I'll start doing some research.

Cheers!

Martyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Snap your photos aren't too bad at all, believe me my camera would struggle to pick out a snowman stood against a black wall at night. Unfortunately the cost of a really decent camera has got to be about 30,000 baht and upwards. Personally I can't warrant paying that amount.

It reads and looks like you and Stray had a great evening, plenty of smiles in the photos. I love the lantern lit photo it must have been awesome to actually see it live.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Martyn, I agree about not being able to justify 30,000 Baht on a new camera at the moment...that's a lot of noodles! Maybe Santa will bring me one next year.

It was great to finally see Loy Kratong with my own eyes, instead of admiring the post cards.